[slurm-users] systemctl enable slurmd.service Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Jeffrey R. Lang JRLang at uwyo.edu
Thu Jan 27 15:23:11 UTC 2022

The missing file error has nothing to do with slurm.  The systemctl command is part of the systems service management.

The error message indicates that you haven’t copied the slurmd.service file on your compute node to /etc/systemd/system or /usr/lib/systemd/system.  /etc/systemd/system is usually used when a user adds a new service to a machine.

Depending on your version of Linux you may also need to do a systemctl daemon-reload to activate the slurmd.service within system.

Once slurmd.service is copied over, the systemctld command should work just fine.

Remember:
                slurmd.service     -  Only on compute nodes
                slurmctld.service – Only on your cluster management node
              slurmdbd.service – Only on your cluster management node