[slurm-users] Secondary Unix group id of users not being issued in interactive srun command

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Sep 21 07:31:57 UTC 2021

On 9/21/21 9:11 AM, Amjad Syed wrote:
> We have users who have have defined unix secondary id on our login nodes.
>
> vas20xhu at login01 ~]$ groups
>
> BIO_pg BIO_AFMAKAY_LAB_USERS
>
> But when we run interactive  and go to compute node , the user does not
> have secondary  group of BIO_AFMAKAY_LAB_USERS
>
> vas20xhu at c0077 ~]$ groups
>
> BIO_pg

I believe that Slurm creates users in the database using the primary UNIX
group name.  Slurm would not know about any secondary UNIX groups.

There must be a uniform user and group name space (including UIDs and
GIDs) across the cluster.  It is your own responsibility to configure
users and groups in the passwd and group databases consistently, see
https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html (search for GIDs).

FWIW, I have some information about creation of users and groups in this
Wiki page:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_accounting#create-accounts-and-users

/Ole