[slurm-users] How to enforce memory contrains?

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 08:31:23 UTC 2021

Hi Rodrigo,

we do pretty much what you do - constrain via cgroups - and it works
fine. So I know it's possible. (I don't think I've ever twiddled the
VSizeFactor.)

I think you also need

SelectType=select/cons_res (or cons_tres)
SelectTypeParameters=CR_Core_Memory

in your slurm.conf; have you got that?

My cgroup.conf is this:

CgroupMountpoint="/sys/fs/cgroup"
CgroupAutomount=yes
CgroupReleaseAgentDir="/etc/slurm/cgroup"
ConstrainCores=yes
TaskAffinity=no
ConstrainRAMSpace=yes
ConstrainSwapSpace=yes
ConstrainDevices=yes
AllowedDevicesFile="/etc/slurm/cgroup_allowed_devices_file.conf"
AllowedRamSpace=100
AllowedSwapSpace=0
MaxRAMPercent=100
MaxSwapPercent=0
MinRAMSpace=30

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk