[slurm-users] [External] Re: Questions about adding new nodes to Slurm

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue May 4 19:14:25 UTC 2021

I agree that people are making updating slurm.conf a bigger issue than
people are making it out to be. However, there are certain config
changes that do require restarting the daemon rather than just doing
'scontrol reconfigure.' these options are documented in the slurm.conf
documentation (just search for "restart")

I believe it's often only the slurmctld that needs to be restarted,
which is one daemon on one system, rather than restarting slurmd on all
the compute nodes, but there are a few that require all slurm daemons
being restarted. Adding nodes to a cluster is one of them:

> Changes in node configuration (e.g. adding nodes, changing their
> processor count, etc.) require restarting both the slurmctld daemon
> and the slurmd daemons. All slurmd daemons must know each node in the
> system to forward messages in support of hierarchical communications

But to avoid this, you can use the future setting to define "future" nodes:

--
Prentice