[slurm-users] [External] Autoset job TimeLimit to fit in a reservation

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue Mar 30 00:54:28 UTC 2021

Florian,

Not the OP, but I have a use case where we do this. We have a code that
uses checkpoint/restart, so for the users, being able to calculate how
much time they have until our maintenance reservation starts allows them
to submit restartable jobs right up to the reservation start time to
maximize cluster usage.

For checkpoint/restart-capable jobs, on clusters where routine
maintenance reservations are a thing, this can claim back valuable
CPU-hours that would otherwise go to waste.

I don't know the exact code they use to check reservation time, but I
know they do look at existing reservations and get the time when the
next reservation starts. The first time I set maintenance reservations
for several month's of maintenance in advance, they had a cow because
they didn't account for the situation where there'd be more than one
reservation in their code.

Prentice