[slurm-users] Get original script of a job

Carl Ponder cponder at nvidia.com
Fri Mar 5 12:58:05 UTC 2021

I put this line in my job-control file (written in bash) to capture the
original as part of the run:

    cp $0 $RUNDIR/$SLURM_JOB_NAME

The $0 gives the full path to the working copy of the script, so it
expands to this for example:

    /fs/slurm/var/spool/job67842/slurm_script

It depends on this spooling directory being readable by all users.
This may not be the case on all systems.
If not, there might be a way to make it readable to just the owner of
the job, you'd have to talk to the SLURM developers about that.

Also I'm not setting the jobname, so the $SLURM_JOB_NAME defaults to the
name of the original script.
Otherwise, you should also be able to extract this from the "command"
field output from squeue.

Note that this only works because the job is still running.
But it enables me to edit-and-submit the script in rapid-fire and
capture the original script with each of the runs.
So I can put it in the same directory where all the other output files
go, and have a complete description of the run conditions.