[slurm-users] Conflicting --nodes and --nodelist

Marcus Boden mboden at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 1 11:44:17 UTC 2021

Hi,

as per
https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-18.08.5/sbatch.html#OPT_nodelist

> Request a specific list of hosts. The job will contain *all* of these hosts and possibly additional hosts as needed to satisfy resource requirements.

So at least in the sbatch manpage it explicitly states that all nodes
are in the allocation. This is the same in the latest version, so I
guess there are not many changes to be expected.

The only way I currently see to do that from user side is to exclude all
the other nodes with -x/--exclude. If this is for testing and more from
an admin side, you could also create a reservation or temporary partition.

Best,
Marcus

--
Marcus Vincent Boden, M.Sc.
Arbeitsgruppe eScience, HPC-Team
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-2191, E-Mail: mboden at gwdg.de
Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG)
Am Faßberg 11, 37077 Göttingen, URL: https://www.gwdg.de

Support: Tel.: +49 551 201-1523, URL: https://www.gwdg.de/support
Sekretariat: Tel.: +49 551 201-1510, Fax: -2150, E-Mail: gwdg at gwdg.de

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Ramin Yahyapour
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Norbert Lossau
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Göttingen
Registergericht: Göttingen, Handelsregister-Nr. B 598

Zertifiziert nach ISO 9001