[slurm-users] Bug: incorrect output directory fails silently

Dries Boers dries.boers at slu.se
Thu Jul 8 14:51:43 UTC 2021

Dear Slurm users,

I wanted to discuss a bug with you, which has troubled me several times. I could not find a discussion about it through Google nor DDG, although it is mentioned here<https://github.com/snakemake/snakemake/issues/134#issuecomment-561185825> in a Snakemake Issue.

When scheduling the following file through sbatch:

```
#SBATCH --output=dir/slurm-out.log

echo "Hello world"
```

If `dir/` does not exist, Slurm fails silently after queuing. 'Silently' is bold there, because this is unexpected behaviour to me.

I understand that there is no output file to write an error message to, but it might be good to check the `--output` path during the scheduling, just like `--account` is checked.

Does anybody know a workaround to be warned about the error?

With kind regards,
Dries Boers
PhD candidate at Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

---
När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här <https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>
E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more information on how this is done, click here <https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>