[slurm-users] How to avoid a feature?

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Jul 2 06:03:29 UTC 2021

On 7/1/21 7:08 am, Brian Andrus wrote:

> I have a partition where one of the nodes has a node-locked license.
> That license is not used by everyone that uses the partition.

This might be a case for using a reservation on that node with the
MaxStartDelay flag to set the maximum amount of time (in minutes) that
jobs that need to run in the reservation are willing to wait for a job
on the node to clean up and exit.

The candidate jobs need to use the --signal flag with the R option to
specify how many seconds of warning they would need to clean up before
being preempted.

If the amount of time they say they need is less than the MaxStartDelay
then they are candidates to run on those nodes _outside_ of the
reservation, and when the actual work comes along they will get told to
get out of the way and, if they fail to, they'll get killed.

I presume people have to request a license in Slurm to get sent to that
node so you could automatically add that reservation to jobs that
request the license.

All the best,
Chris
--