[slurm-users] How to avoid a feature?

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 2 05:48:06 UTC 2021

Hi Tina,

Tina Friedrich <tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi Brian,
>
> sometimes it would be nice if SLURM had what Grid Engine calls a 'forced
> complex' (i.e. a feature that you *have* to request to land on a node that has
> it), wouldn't it?
>
> I do something like that for all of my 'special' nodes (GPU, KNL, nodes...) - I
> want to avoid jobs not requesting that resource or allowing that architecture
> landing on it. I 'tag' all nodes with a relevant feature (cpu, gpu, knl, ...),
> and have a LUA submit verifier that checks for a 'relevant' feature (or a
> --gres=gpu or somthing) and if there isn't one I add the 'cpu' feature to the
> request.
>
> Works for us!

We just have the GPU nodes in a separate partition 'gpu' which users
have to specify if they want a GPU.  How does that approach differ from
yours in terms of functionality for you (or the users)?

The main problem with our approach is that the CPUs on the GPU nodes can
remain idle while there is a queue for the regular CPU nodes.  What I
would like is to allow short CPU-only jobs to run on the GPUs but only
allow GPU-jobs to run for longer, which I guess I could probably do
within the submit plugin.

Cheers,

Loris

--