[slurm-users] MaxTime only for a user

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 25 10:28:15 UTC 2021

Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> writes:

> On 2/25/21 10:11 AM, Gestió Servidors wrote:
>> I need to configure a SLURM partition to allow jobs than need more than a
>> hour, but only for a specific user. By default, that partition allows jobs
>> with a “MaxTime=10:00” but, now, a user needs to run some test in the same
>> partition that will last one one aprox. If I configure a “MaxTime” in
>> slurm.conf, that value is applied for all users.
>>
>> Can I configure SLURM in some way to allow that?
>
> I think so, please see https://slurm.schedmd.com/resource_limits.html and look
> for the MaxWallDurationPerJob limit.  You have to set that limit on the user's
> association.

But if you have set MaxWallDurationPerJob in a QOS, the value set in the
association will be ignored, because the QOS have higher priority than
associations, as described on the page Ole mentions above.

This makes it slightly difficulty to impose per-user restrictions.  Our
current approach to, say, preventing a user from starting any more jobs
is to remove all the partition QOS from the user association.  This is a
little clunky, so I suspect there may be a more elegant way.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Hr./Mr.)