[slurm-users] Exclude Slurm packages from the EPEL yum repository

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Wed Feb 3 18:32:23 UTC 2021

My main point here is that essentially upgrading someone from, for example, SLURM 20.02 to SLURM 20.11 is not desirable, and that’s why upgrades between major versions, IMO, should not happen automatically. There’s a whole section of the documentation about how to do this properly, and I’m not sure that one should ever count on a package to do this properly, at least without advance planning (which I guess you could argue someone should do anyway). That doesn’t have much to do with the initial complaint of them just appearing, which is a one-time problem as now it’s in the repo. At any rate, not wanting to upgrade automatically is at least true of slurmdbd and slurmctld, maybe less true of the client versions. Sure, someone should know what they’re upgrading to, but I don’t imagine anyone’s goal here is to make it easier to shoot oneself in the foot. I imagine no one releases packages with the express goal of having people version lock them out. :-D

None of this affects me, as I’m not installing SLURM this way, but if someone /were/ asking me what I thought, I’d say that the current “slurm” package should be renamed “slurm-20.11,” which can follow an upgrade path with no issue as it’s safe to upgrade within a SLURM release, but that should only ever upgrade to another minor release of SLURM 20.11. The next one should be called slurm-21.02 or whatever version it ultimately becomes (I don’t think it’s even been pre-released yet). I don’t know enough about EPEL to know if that’s an allowable solution, but it’s one I’ve seen used for other software packages where one needs to manually upgrade to a new major version (I’m thinking on Ubuntu where the VirtualBox package has an embedded major/minor version number in it so you only automatically upgrade to a new point release).

To give an example of why we don’t just upgrade via packages, our SlurmDBD upgrade has at times taken more than 24 hours to do, and if something else gets upgraded sometime before that, it could cause problems.

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'