[slurm-users] Exclude Slurm packages from the EPEL yum repository

Philip Kovacs pkdevel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 18:06:27 UTC 2021

I am familiar with the package rename process and it would not have the effect you might think it would.If I provide an upgrade path to a new package name, e.g. slurm-xxx, the net effect would be to tell yum ordnf-managed systems that the new package name for slurm is slurm-xxx.  That would make the problemworse by not only upgrading slurm from EPEL but also renaming it.
The way to handle the problem properly is to use any of the other methods I described earlier that makethe name collision moot, i.e. tell your systems that your local repo has a higher priority or that packagesin that repo are protected from upgrade or lock slurm onto a designated version.
If you accidentally got pulled into an upgrade that you didn't want, those are the steps to prevent it in the future.
You can easily create test cases for yum by placing (artificially) higher versions of the packages you wantto protect into a test repo.  Then use yum protectbase or yum priorities to tell your system that your local repois protected and/or that the local repo has a higher priority than the test repo, depending on which yum pluginsyou use. Then verify that that `yum check-update` does not report an upgrade for your test packages.