[slurm-users] Exclude Slurm packages from the EPEL yum repository

Philip Kovacs pkdevel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 00:58:41 UTC 2021

 Lots of mixed reactions here, many in favor (and grateful) for the add to EPEL, many much less enthusiastic.
I cannot rename an EPEL package that is now in the wild without providing an upgrade path to the new name. Such an upgrade path would defeat the purpose of the rename and won't help at all.
The best option, in my opinion, would be to use one of the following yum plugins:
yum-plugin-versionlockyum-plugin-prioritiesyum-plugin-protectbase
With one or more of these, you can lock slurm on a particular version (versionlock), prioritize one repo over another(priorities) or protect certain repos from any upgrade (protectbase).  Using these plugins also closes the general problemof not wanting locally built packages ever to be upgraded until you deem otherwise.  Name collisions become irrelevant.
I can also do one of two other things:

1. Remove slurm from EPEL2. Downgrade slurm in EPEL to a stable but older version that likely won't interfere with most installations.
Phil