[slurm-users] Renaming GRES types - effects on TRES accounting

René Sitt sittr at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 15 12:16:28 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

I have a somewhat specific question:
For consistency reasons, we would like to rename one of our GPU GRES
types; i.e. there is currently a GRES type "gpu:tesla" that we'd rather
like to rename to the specific model, V100S in our case, since obviously
the "Tesla" architecture includes multiple different GPU models that
we'd possibly want to differentiate between, and also for keeping a
consistent resource naming scheme for adding more GPU types in further
cluster extensions.
Since we're tracking GPU reservations by type in accounting - meaning
that "gres/gpu:tesla" is listed in AccountingStorageTRES - I'm a bit
wary about what might happen if we just replace all mentions of the
"tesla" GRES with, say, "v100s", especially w.r.t. the accounting DB.
Has anyone ever done this? Should one keep the "gres/gpu:tesla" in
AccountingStorageTRES as a "legacy" entry to not break the accounting DB
for older jobs that include this type name? Is renaming GRES generally a
bad idea or can it cause further problems so we should rather keep it as-is?

Kind regards,
René Sitt

--
Dipl.-Chem. René Sitt
Hessisches Kompetenzzentrum für Hochleistungsrechnen

Tel. +49 6421 28-23523

sittr at hrz.uni-marburg.de
www.hpc-hessen.de