[slurm-users] Failed to forward X11 with a remote scheduler

Stuart MacLachlan stuart.maclachlan at sondrel.com
Mon Dec 13 08:44:33 UTC 2021

HI Jeremy,

I have just gone through setting this up with exactly the same issues.  Not sure what your settings are or what you may have so far tried, but hopefully this will help…

  1.  Make usre Slurm > V17.11 (looks like when X forwarding was brought in instead of using SPANK plugin)
  2.  Make sure Slurm is compiled with libssh2-dev libraries available – not sure if this is the right dependency or if it is required, but I read it somewhere (which I now can’t find the link)…
  3.  Add “x11” to the PrologFlags line in slurm.conf – my line looks like “PrologFlags=x11”
  4.  Add a new line in slurm.conf – “X11Parameters=home_xauthority”
  5.  Update your slurm cluster and restart.

Steps 3&4 seemed to be the key ones I originally missed – especially 4 (https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_X11Parameters)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Regards,
Stuart