[slurm-users] slurmstepd: error: Too many levels of symbolic links

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at spacescience.ro
Thu Dec 2 14:00:18 UTC 2021

Hi!

On 01.12.2021 10:25, Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:
> Adrian Sevcenco <Adrian.Sevcenco at spacescience.ro> writes:
>
>> Hi! Does anyone know what could the the cause of such error?
>> I have a shared home, slurm 20.11.8 and i try a simple script in the submit directory
>> which is in the home that is nfs shared...
>
> We had the "Too many levels of symbolic links" error some years ago,
> while using a combination of automounting nfs areas and private fs name
> spaces to get a private /tmp for each job.  In the end we had to give up
> using automount, and implement a manual procedure that mounts/umounts
> the needed nfs areas.

Thanks a lot for info! manual as in "script" or as in "systemd.mount service"?

Also, the big and the only advantage that autofs had over static mounts was
that whenever there was a problem with the server, after the passing of the glitch
the autofs would re-mount the target...

I'm not very sure that a static nfs mount have this capability ... did you baked in
your manual procedure also a recovery part?

Thank you!
Adrian