[slurm-users] SLES 15 rpmbuild from 20.02.5 tarball wants munge-libs: system munge RPMs don't provide it

Kevin Buckley Kevin.Buckley at pawsey.org.au
Wed Oct 21 03:38:06 UTC 2020

On 2020/10/20 23:46, Michael Jennings wrote:

> So one thing I've done/recommended in the past is to create a
> ".nosrc.rpm" - i.e., an RPM that builds with a specfile but with no
> buildable source - that has "Requires:" entries to pull in the correct
> packages that you *wish* provided particular thing(s) and also
> contains one or more "Provides:" entries listing those same
> aforementioned thing(s).

Yes: shared your pain.

Did similar, back in the UK, donkey's years ago, in creating a
"stub RPM" for a package that we didn't care about but which other
RPMs did want to see there.

Nearly went down that route here too. Glad I didn't now: would have
hated myself for weeks afterwards.

As I think of it, I don't really care if one distro wants to call
their "development" subpackage say bzip2-devel or libbz2-devel, not
least because a) the chances are that the deployment payloads will be
as close to a very close thing as you can get with touching and b) few
people will ever want to go and substitute across distros, however, for
packages that want to rely on seeing Something/Anything (eh Todd?) that
simply indicates that a BZip header or lib is there, it would just be
"nice" if the various distros could just acknowledge each other.

Kevin Buckley
--
Supercomputing Systems Administrator
Pawsey Supercomputing Centre