[slurm-users] SLES 15 rpmbuild from 20.02.5 tarball wants munge-libs: system munge RPMs don't provide it

Kevin Buckley Kevin.Buckley at pawsey.org.au
Mon Oct 19 05:45:13 UTC 2020

> On 2020/10/16 21:38, Alexander Block wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> yes, I have build Slurm packages under SLES15 SP1. The trick that worked
>> for me was to uninstall the SUSE munge packages and build and install
>> munge from source.
>

> Interestingly enough, Cray's Munge RPMs (at CLE release 6.0.UP07), are built
> against an earlier Munge version than that found in SLES15 SP1, but also
> provide the libs package, vis:
>
> cray-munge-0.5.11-6.0.7.1_1.1__g1b18658.x86_64
> cray-munge-libs-0.5.11-6.0.7.1_1.1__g1b18658.x86_64

and furthermore, in the interest of completeness for anyone finding this
thread, comes the late breaking news that trying to rpmbuild munge from
the source tarball tells one that it requires

    - bzip2-devel

but that the vanilla SLES15 bzip2 RPMs only provide

    - bzip2
    - libbz2
    - libbz2-devel

so I ended up rebuilding/redeploying bzip2, using a patched SPEC file from
the SLES SRPM that added a

Provides: bzip2-devel

line, as well.

Then I found that the stock rpmbuild has a shadow-utils dependency at
zypper install time, but of course SLES doesn't have that.

And yes, I even though to build Munge 0.5.13 using the OpenSUSE SPEC
file in its tarball, but that wanted to build against Munge 0.5.11 !

I'm sure I read that package managers make all this kind of thing a
lot easier than building everything from source, didn't I?

Cheers for the pointers: I know I'll get there evetually.