[slurm-users] Controlling access to idle nodes

Jason Simms simmsj at lafayette.edu
Tue Oct 6 15:37:54 UTC 2020

Hello David,

I'm still relatively new at Slurm, but one way we handle this is that for
users/groups who have "bought in" to the cluster, we use a QOS to provide
them preemptible access to the set of resources provided by, e.g., a set
number of nodes, but not the nodes themselves. That is, in one example, two
researchers each have priority preemptible access to up to 52 cores in the
cluster, but those cores can come from any physical node. I set the
priority of the QOS for each researcher equal, such that they cannot
preempt each other.

Admittedly, this works best and most simply in a situation where your nodes
are relatively homogeneous, as ours currently are. I am trying to avoid a
situation where a given physical node is restricted to a specific
researcher/group, as I want all nodes, as much as possible, to be available
to all users, precisely so that idle cycles don't go to waste. It aligns
with the general philosophy that nodes are more like cattle and less like
pets, in my opinion, so I try to treat them like a giant shared pool rather
than multiple independent, gated systems.

Anyway, I suspect other users here with more experience might have a
different, or better, approach and I look forward to hearing their thoughts
as well.

Warmest regards,
Jason

--
*Jason L. Simms, Ph.D., M.P.H.*
Manager of Research and High-Performance Computing