[slurm-users] Controlling access to idle nodes

David Baker D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 6 15:10:04 UTC 2020

Hello,

I would appreciate your advice on how to deal with this situation in Slurm, please. If I have a set of nodes used by 2 groups, and normally each group would each have access to half the nodes. So, I could limit each group to have access to 3 nodes each, for example. I am trying to devise a scheme that allows each group to make best use of the node always. In other words, each group could potentially use all the nodes (assuming they all free and the other group isn't using the nodes at all).

I cannot set hard and soft limits in slurm, and so I'm not sure how to make the situation flexible. Ideally It would be good for each group to be able to use their allocation and then take advantage of any idle nodes via a scavenging mechanism. The other group could then pre-empt the scavenger jobs and claim their nodes. I'm struggling with this since this seems like a two-way scavenger situation.

Could anyone please help? I have, by the way, set up partition-based pre-emption in the cluster. This allows the general public to scavenge nodes owned by research groups.

Best regards,
David