[slurm-users] Meaning of --cpus-per-task and --mem-per-cpu when SMT processors are used

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 4 13:08:09 UTC 2020

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the clarification - I'd actually missed the 'SMT' in subject.

Marcus Wagner <wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> CPU is the smallest schedulable unit, in case of SMT its threads.

Would it be reasonable to say it's *always* threads and with HT you just
have twice as many as without?  Having said that, it seems a little
strange to say a CPU *is* a thread, as that blurs the distinction
between hardware and executing software somewhat.

> At the moment we have HT disabled on our systems, therefore CPU is equal to the
> cores for us. But with HT enabled, CPU is double that large (at least form slurm
> 18.08).

We also have HT disabled, so I had slightly forgotten about it.

It is rather annoying that the Slurm terminology is so inconsistent as
it is potentially confusing for users.

Cheers,

Loris

--