[slurm-users] Slurm on Debian Stretch

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Mar 4 07:54:09 UTC 2020

Good morning,

is there anyone out there, running Slurm on a Debian Stretch platform?
I've been maintaining a HTCondor pool for quite some time, and recently
started an attempt to convert some of the compute nodes to form a Slurm
cluster instead.

I ran into some issues I could only partially resolve yet:
- magic UID for "slurm" user, but none for "munge" (and since the munge
  key has to be shared, unique UIDs are essential)
- daemons don't start (timeout) when using "service ... start", running
  with -D and backgrounding doesn't show anything weird
- "scontrol reconfig" tends to kill the slurmctld

Upgrading to Buster isn't an option yet, and I doubt the issues would
vaporize by upgrading.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- S

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)