[slurm-users] Make "srun --pty bash -i" always schedule immediately

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 11 12:49:39 UTC 2020

Hi Manual,

"Holtgrewe, Manuel" <manuel.holtgrewe at bihealth.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to make interactive logins where users will use almost no resources "always succeed"?
>
> In most of these interactive sessions, users will have mostly idle shells running and do some batch job submissions. Is there a way to allocate "infinite virtual cpus" on each node that can only be allocated to
> interactive jobs?

I have never done this but setting "OverSubscribe" in the appropriate
place might be what you are looking for.

  https://slurm.schedmd.com/cons_res_share.html

Personally, however, I would be a bit wary of doing this.  What if
someone does start a multithreaded process on purpose or by accident?

Wouldn't just using cgroups on your login node achieve what you want?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)