[slurm-users] ssh-keys on compute nodes?

Jeffrey T Frey frey at udel.edu
Mon Jun 8 15:29:28 UTC 2020

An MPI library with tight integration with Slurm (e.g. Intel MPI, Open MPI) can use "srun" to start the remote workers.  In some cases "srun" can be used directly for MPI startup (e.g. "srun" instead of "mpirun").

Other/older MPI libraries that start remote processes using "ssh" would, naturally, require keyless ssh logins to work across all compute nodes in the cluster.

When we provision user accounts on our Slurm cluster we still add .ssh, .ssh/id_rsa (needed for older X11 tunneling via libssh2), and add the public key to .ssh/authorized_keys.  All officially-supported MPIs on the cluster are tightly integrated with Slurm.  But there are commercial products and older software our clients use that are not, so having keyless access ready for them helps those users get their workflows working more quickly.