[slurm-users] [EXT] Weird issues with slurm's Priority

Sean Crosby scrosby at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jul 7 23:05:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 00:47, zaxs84 <sciuscianebbia at gmail.com> wrote:

> *UoM notice: External email. Be cautious of links, attachments, or
> impersonation attempts.*
> ------------------------------
> Hi Sean,
> thank you very much for your reply.
>
> > If a lower priority job can start AND finish before the resources a
> higher priority job requires are available, the backfill scheduler will
> start the lower priority job.
>
> That's very interesting, but how can the scheduler predict how long a
> low-priority job will take?

Based on the walltime of the low-priority job

> > In your example job list, can you also list the requested times for each
> job? That will show if it is the backfill scheduler doing what it is
> designed to do.
>
> You mean the wall clock time? If that's the case, we don't usually set
> that.

Can you see if it is set? Using (e.g. scontrol show job 337475 or sacct -j
337475 -o Timelimit)

Sean

> Thanks again
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM Sean Crosby <scrosby at unimelb.edu.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What you have described is how the backfill scheduler works. If a lower
>> priority job can start AND finish before the resources a higher priority
>> job requires are available, the backfill scheduler will start the lower
>> priority job.
>>
>> Your high priority job requires 24 cores, whereas the lower priority jobs
>> only require 1 core each. Therefore there might be some free resources the
>> lower priority jobs can use that the 24 core job can't. The backfill
>> scheduler can make the lower priority jobs take advantage of those free
>> cores, but only if it then doesn't stop the higher priority job from
>> starting in its original time.
>>
>> In your example job list, can you also list the requested times for each
>> job? That will show if it is the backfill scheduler doing what it is
>> designed to do.
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> --
>> Sean Crosby | Senior DevOpsHPC Engineer and HPC Team Lead
>> Research Computing Services | Business Services
>> The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
>>

>> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 19:05, zaxs84 <sciuscianebbia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> *UoM notice: External email. Be cautious of links, attachments, or
>>> impersonation attempts.*
>>> ------------------------------
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> We want to achieve a simple thing with slurm: launch "normal" jobs, and
>>> be able to launch "high priority" jobs that run as soon as possible. End of
>>> it. However we cannot achieve this in a reliable way, meaning that our
>>> current config sometimes works, sometimes not, and this is driving us crazy.
>>>
>>> When it works, this is what happens:
>>> - we have, let's say, 10 jobs running with normal priority
>>> (--qos=normal, having final Priority=1001) and few thousands in PENDING
>>> state
>>> - we submit a new job with high priority (--qos=high, having final
>>> Priority=1001001)
>>> - at this point, slurm waits until the normal priority job will end to
>>> free up required resources, and then starts a new High priority job. That's
>>> Perfect!
>>>
>>> However, from time to time, randomly, this does not happen. Here is an
>>> example:
>>>
>>> # the node has around 200GB of memory and 24 CPUs
>>> Partition=t1 State=PD Priority=1001001 Nice=0 ID=337455 CPU=24
>>> Memory=80G Nice=0 Started=0:00 User=u1 Submitted=2020-07-07T07:16:47
>>> Partition=t1 State=R Priority=1001 Nice=0 ID=337475 CPU=1 Memory=1024M
>>> Nice=0 Started=1:22 User=u1 Submitted=2020-07-07T10:31:46
>>> Partition=t1 State=R Priority=1001 Nice=0 ID=334355 CPU=1 Memory=1024M
>>> Nice=0 Started=58:09 User=u1 Submitted=2020-06-23T09:57:11
>>> Partition=t1 State=R Priority=1001 Nice=0 ID=334354 CPU=1 Memory=1024M
>>> Nice=0 Started=6:29:59 User=u1 Submitted=2020-06-23T09:57:11
>>> Partition=t1 State=R Priority=1001 Nice=0 ID=334353 CPU=1 Memory=1024M
>>> Nice=0 Started=13:25:55 User=u1 Submitted=2020-06-23T09:57:11
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> You see? Slurm keep starting jobs that have a lower priority. Why is
>>> that?
>>>
>>> Some info about our config: Slurm is version 16.05. Here is the priority
>>> config of slurm:
>>>
>>> ##### file /etc/slurm-llnl/slurm.conf
>>> PriorityType=priority/multifactor
>>> PriorityFavorSmall=NO