[slurm-users] Nodelist dependent environment setup ?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Feb 28 19:32:13 UTC 2020

On 28-02-2020 19:44, Sajid Ali wrote:
> If I install multiple versions of a software library, each optimized for
> a different partition based on CPU architecture, how would I
> automatically load the version of software based on the nodes allocated
> to the job ?
>
> Ideally I'd want to store the modules for each cpu arch at a different
> location and set the `MODULEPATH` at job startup to the lowest CPU-arch.
> (since our cluster only runs Intel CPU's, the software for lower arch
> would run on a higher arch).
>
> Could someone point out how Slurm initializes the job environment at
> startup ? Based on this I'm hoping that it will be a relatively simple
> task to add a small script to determine nodelist and prepend the
> moduepath env var.
>
> Alternatively, if someone could point out how they do this at their
> sites it would be useful as well.

This is how we NFS automount different module trees for different CPU
architectures:

https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/EasyBuild_modules#automounting-the-cpu-architecture-dependent-modules-directory

The advantage is that the automounter's map file uses a system variable
$CPU_ARCH to mount the correct tree for each system.

The Wiki page has other possibly useful information, for example
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/EasyBuild_modules#setting-the-cpu-hardware-architecture

/Ole