[slurm-users] Nodelist dependent environment setup ?

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 28 18:44:38 UTC 2020

Hi Slurm-developers/users,

If I install multiple versions of a software library, each optimized for a
different partition based on CPU architecture, how would I automatically
load the version of software based on the nodes allocated to the job ?

Ideally I'd want to store the modules for each cpu arch at a different
location and set the `MODULEPATH` at job startup to the lowest CPU-arch.
(since our cluster only runs Intel CPU's, the software for lower arch would
run on a higher arch).

Could someone point out how Slurm initializes the job environment at
startup ? Based on this I'm hoping that it will be a relatively simple task
to add a small script to determine nodelist and prepend the moduepath env
var.

Alternatively, if someone could point out how they do this at their sites
it would be useful as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--
Sajid Ali | PhD Candidate