[slurm-users] Slurm Upgrade from 17.02

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Wed Feb 19 14:44:58 UTC 2020

On 19/2/20 6:10 am, Ricardo Gregorio wrote:

> I am putting together an upgrade plan for slurm on our HPC. We are
> currently running old version 17.02.11. Would you guys advise us
> upgrading to 18.08 or 19.05?

Slurm versions only support upgrading from 2 major versions back, so you
could only upgrade from 17.02 to 17.11 or 18.08.  I'd suggest going
straight to 18.08.

Remember you have to upgrade slurmdbd first, then upgrade slurmctld and
then finally the slurmd's.

Also, as Ole points out, 20.02 is due out soon at which point 18.08 gets
retired from support, so you'd probably want to jump to 19.05 from 18.08.

Don't forget to take backups first!  We do a mysqldump of the whole
accounting DB and rsync backups of our state directories before an upgrade.

Best of luck!
Chris
--
  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA