[slurm-users] Slurm Upgrade from 17.02

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Feb 19 14:40:52 UTC 2020

On 2/19/20 3:10 PM, Ricardo Gregorio wrote:
> I am putting together an upgrade plan for slurm on our HPC. We are
> currently running old version 17.02.11. Would you guys advise us upgrading
> to 18.08 or 19.05?

You should be able to upgrade 2 Slurm major versions in one step.  The
18.08 version is just about to become unsupported since 20.02 will be
released shortly.  We use 19.05.5.

I have collected a number of upgrading details in my Slurm Wiki page:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_installation#upgrading-slurm

You really, really want to perform a dry-run Slurm database upgrade on a
test machine before doing the real upgrade!  See
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_installation#make-a-dry-run-database-upgrade

> I understand we will have to also upgrade the version of mariadb from 5.5
> to 10.X and pay attention to 'long db upgrade from 17.02 to 18.X or 19.X'
> and 'bug 6796' amongst other things.

We use the default MariaDB 5.5 in CentOS 7.7.  Upgrading to MariaDB 10
seems to have quite a number of unresolved installation issues, so I would
skip that for now.  Se s

> We would appreciate your comments/recommendations

Slurm 19.05 works great for us.  We're happy with our SchedMD support
contract.

/Ole