[slurm-users] Novice Slurm Upgrade Questions

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 4 19:46:43 UTC 2020

Usually the slurm.spec file provided doesn't change that much between
versions.  What we do here is that we maintain a git repository of our
slurm.spec that we use with our modifications. Then each time Slurm is
released we compare ours against what is provided, and simply modify the
provided one with our changes.

Unless you make specific tweaks to the slurm.spec, you should be able to
just use it out of the box no problem.  As always read the changelog to
see if there are any major changes between the versions in case a
feature you were using was deprecated.  This can happen during major
version upgrades.

At least from my experience if you follow the directions on the Slurm
documentation regarding upgrades, you should be fine.  The only real
hitch is that by default the RPM's do restart the slurmdbd and slurmctld
services, which you don't want when upgrading.  You should either neuter
this or have those both stopped during the upgrade.  After the upgrade
you should run slurmdbd and slurmctld in commandline mode for the
initial run. Once it is done and running normally you can kill these and
restart the relevant services.

-Paul Edmon-