[slurm-users] Limiting number of CPUs per user

Holtgrewe, Manuel manuel.holtgrewe at bihealth.de
Thu Aug 20 12:22:56 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I have a Slurm setup that has a couple of partitions and I want to limit the number of CPUs that each user can use in each partition. I'm trying to do this by attaching a qos to each partition and setting "MaxTRESPerUser" in each to, e.g., cpu=1000. It looks like this setting is ignored.

I did some research and it appears that AccountingStorageEnforce has to include "qos" in order for this to work. Is this correct?

Is there another way to limit number of used CPUs per partition?

It appears to be a bit cumbersome to create accounting information for each user and partition. What's the best approach here? I have to admit that I have a hard time to grasp the implications of Slurm accounts and QOS from the official documentation. What's the best way to get an overview here besides reading most of the manual begin-to-end?

Best wishes,
Manuel

--
Dr. Manuel Holtgrewe, Dipl.-Inform.
Bioinformatician

Visiting Address: Invalidenstr. 80, 3rd Floor, Room 03 028, 10117 Berlin
Postal Address: Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin

E-Mail: manuel.holtgrewe at bihealth.de
Phone: +49 30 450 543 607
Fax: +49 30 450 7 543 901
Web: cubi.bihealth.org  www.bihealth.org  www.mdc-berlin.de  www.charite.de