[slurm-users] Limit nodes of a partition without managing users

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:52:08 UTC 2020

Without preemption there is no way in your scenario to ensure all nodes
won't be used by "high priority" jobs merely because it is
(theoretically) possible for all jobs to be high priority until the
cluster is full before the first low priority job is submitted. You
would need to decide how to handle the situation when that happens.

To get at how to deal with it, separate what your users consider "high
priority" from what slurm considers "priority" (which is an actual
number used to schedule jobs).

If you manipulate the slurm priority number of a job, you can place it
wherever you like in the queue waiting to run. So a "low priority" job
to you can have a priority number that is quite high to slurm so it runs
next.

In this manner, you can do things to any of the jobs in the queue to
place them in the order you want.

Using that approach, you may want to just look at the multifactor
priority plugin (https://slurm.schedmd.com/priority_multifactor.html).
In particular the Age and Partition factors. Maybe make "low priority"
jobs gain priority faster than high priority jobs. So, they may wait,
but they will wait a relatively shorter amount of time. There are
numerous other factors you can use. If you have accounting and
associations configured, you can manipulate it all the way to the
association and qos.

Brian Andrus