[slurm-users] Limit nodes of a partition without managing users

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:27:13 UTC 2020

Most likely, but the specific approach depends on how you define what
you want.

For example, what if there are no jobs in high pri queue but many in
low? Should all the low ones run? What should happen if they get started
and use all the nodes and a high-pri request comes in (preemption policy)?
What about the inverse of that? What if you get a steady stream of
high-pri jobs? How long should low-pri wait before being allowed to run?
Does it matter if it is all the same user?1

You can handle much of that type of interaction with job priorities and
a single queue. As you can see, the devil is in the details on how to
define/get what you want.

Brian Andrus