[slurm-users] one job at a time - how to set?

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Thu Apr 30 13:18:18 UTC 2020

You can adjust or enforce almost anything about a job with a job_submit.lua [1 (search for “JobSubmitPlugins”), 2].

Assuming you want this node in a single partition, you can set ExclusiveUser in a partition definition in slurm.conf. That would at least keep other users off the node, but wouldn’t prevent a single user from running multiple jobs on the node.

Past that, you can force a QOS on the partition [3], and use that to set limits on how many jobs a user can have running [4]. That might be just a MaxJobs=1 for the QOS.

[1] https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-15.08.13/slurm.conf.html
[2] https://github.com/SchedMD/slurm/blob/slurm-15-08-13-1/contribs/lua/job_submit.lua
[3] https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-15.08.13/qos.html
[4] https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-15.08.13/resource_limits.html