[slurm-users] need to use unused cores | wherein all compute nodes are ALLOC

Sudeep Narayan Banerjee snbanerjee at iitgn.ac.in
Mon Apr 27 09:21:01 UTC 2020

Dear All,

I have 360 cpu cores in my cluster; 9 compute nodes with 20core x 2
sockets each.

I have slurm.18.08.7 version and have multifactor (fair share) and
backfill enabled.

I am running jobs with less ntasks_per_node in the script and at some
point all my compute nodes are ALLOC (with overall 300 cores). but since
I have not used all the cores, around around 60 ntasks are still unused
(distributed all over the 9 nodes).

Question: how can I still submit another job that gets those unused
cores to run? I know the status of all such nodes will be changed in
MIX. so, what options has to be tweaked in slurm.conf file.

Currently the status shows (Resources) as Reason for not getting in the
scheduler.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Sudeep Narayan Banerjee