[slurm-users] Drain a single user's jobs

Mark Dixon mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 09:55:19 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm a slurm newbie who has inherited a working slurm 16.05.10 cluster.

I'd like to stop user foo from submitting new jobs but allow their
existing jobs to run.

We have several partitions, each with its own qos and MaxSubmitJobs
typically set to some vaue. These qos are stopping a "sacctmgr update user
foo set maxsubmitjobs=0" from doing anything useful, as per the
documentation.

I've tried setting up a competing qos:

   sacctmgr add qos drain
   sacctmgr modify qos drain set MaxSubmitJobs=0
   sacctmgr modify qos drain set flags=OverPartQOS
   sacctmgr modify user foo set qos=drain

This has successfully prevented the user from submitting new jobs, but
their existing jobs aren't running. I'm seeing the reason code
"InvalidQOS".

Any ideas what I should be looking at, please?

Thanks,

Mark