[slurm-users] SLURM in Virtual Machine

William Brown william at signalbox.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 15:46:25 UTC 2019

I built a cluster with Login Node, slurmctld, slurmdbd and MariaDb all on
VMs, and the compute nodes all physical.  Works fine.  Having a VM as login
node has the added benefit that anyone who tries to run an application
there interactively soon finds that it will not run in small RAM, and in
fact in my case on different CPU architecture from what the applications
were compiled for.  VMs are very easy to set up with pretty high
availability, so easy to backup before changes, very fast to boot.  Don't
waste good hardware on admin tasks.

William