[slurm-users] Help with preemtion based on licenses

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Nov 6 15:23:17 UTC 2019

> This does not make sense to me. If gpu is my generic resource why would it not release the gpu resources if a job is suspended?

how would that be implemented?  how would the scheduler reach into
the application and cause the license to be released and reacquired?
after all, the license server is otherwise oblivious to whether
the job it has granted a license to has been suspended or resumed.
this applies to other gres as well - for instance GPUs, since there's
no mechanism to free up GPU resources allocated to a suspended process.

*that* is the problem - merely adding and substracting is not.

regards, mark hahn.