[slurm-users] Help with preemtion based on licenses

Oytun Peksel Oytun.Peksel at semcon.com
Wed Nov 6 08:08:34 UTC 2019

Yes of course no one would expect the resource manager to control the job applications to release licenses.
 Sometimes licenses are released either automatically or can be done by scripts.

The desired behavior here while using  '--license someSoftware at someserver:x ' :
 if there are not enough licenses a running job should be suspended/cancelled/requeued/checkpointed and assume that licenses are released.

Namely just treat license resource as any other resource like CPU and Memory. Nothing else. Today licenses are automatically pending the job disabling preemption mechanism.

The above behavior is observed with select/cons_tres plugin and license defined as a TRES "AccountingStorageTres=license/someSoftware

Oytun Peksel
oytun.peksel at semcon.com
Mobile   +46739205917