[slurm-users] Help with preemtion based on licenses

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Tue Nov 5 15:37:33 UTC 2019

> The limiting factor in our cluster is licenses and I want to have high and low priority jobs where submitting a high priority job will preempt (suspend) a low priority job if all the licenses are already in use.

But what are you expecting to happen?  that Slurm will somehow release
the license used by the suspended job, and then somehow reacquire the
license when it is resumed?  I've never heard of that kind of thing
even being offered by license managers, let alone that level of intimate
integration between schedulers and license managers.

At most, a scheduler may provide a callout to query the number of
free licenses, and consider a job eligible to start if its declared
usage fits (gres in Slurm terms, I think).

regards, mark hahn
operator may differ from spokesperson.	            hahn at mcmaster.ca