[slurm-users] job priority keeping resources from being used?

Burian, John John.Burian at nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Nov 1 14:54:09 UTC 2019

Are you setting realistic job run times (sbatch –t <time>)?

Slurm won’t backfill low priority jobs (with low resource requirements) in front of a high priority job (blocked waiting on high resource requirements) if it thinks the low priority jobs will delay the eventual start of the high priority job. If all jobs are submitted with the same job run time, then Slurm will never backfill, because as far as Slurm knows, the low priority jobs will take longer to finish than just waiting for the current running jobs to finish.

John