[slurm-users] Partition QOS limits not being applied

David Carlson david.carlson at stonybrook.edu
Thu May 9 19:16:33 UTC 2019

Hi SLURM users,

I work on a cluster, and we recently transitioned to using SLURM on some of
our nodes.  However, we're currently having some difficulty limiting the
number of jobs that a user can run simultaneously in particular
partitions.  Here are the steps we've taken:

1.  Created a new QOS and set MaxJobsPerUser=4 with sacctmgr.
2.  Modified slurm.conf so that the relevant PartitionName line includes
QOS=<qos name>.
3.  Restarted slurmctld.

However, after taking these steps, the partition in question still does not
have any limits on the number of jobs that a user can run simultaneously.
Is there something wrong here, or are there additional steps that we need
to take?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave