[slurm-users] spart: A user-oriented partition info command for slurm

Jeffrey Frey frey at udel.edu
Thu Mar 28 13:03:20 UTC 2019

Just FYI, there's one minor issue with spart:  for pending jobs, the "partition" parameter can be a comma-separated list of partitions and not just a single partition name

If  the  job  can use more than one partition, specify their names in a comma separate list and the one
offering earliest initiation will be used with no regard given to the partition name ordering (although
higher  priority partitions will be considered first).  When the job is initiated, the name of the par‐
tition used will be placed first in the job record partition string.

So the code that identifies to which partition a pending job belongs may not work properly:

strncmp(
        part_buffer_ptr->partition_array[j].name,
	job_buffer_ptr->job_array[i].partition,
       	strlen (part_buffer_ptr->partition_array[j].name)) == 0

This can also produce incorrect matches if a cluster has partitions with overlapping names:  e.g. for a job requesting partition "large_smp" the code above would evaluate to true for a partition named "large".  And if the user had requested

sbatch --partition small --partition medium --partition large ...

then it would only include the pending CPU counts on the "small" partition.

If your cluster has no overlap between partition names and users do not submit jobs against multiple partitions, the program will work fine.

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 5:51 AM, mercan <ahmet.mercan at uhem.itu.edu.tr> wrote:
>
> Hi;
>
> Except sjstat script, Slurm does not contains a command to show user-oriented partition info. I wrote a command. I hope you will find it useful.
>
> https://github.com/mercanca/spart
>
> Regards,
>
> Ahmet M.

Jeffrey T. Frey, Ph.D.
Systems Programmer V / HPC Management
Network & Systems Services / College of Engineering
University of Delaware, Newark DE  19716
Office: (302) 831-6034  Mobile: (302) 419-4976