[slurm-users] SLURM heterogeneous jobs, a little help needed plz

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Fri Mar 22 17:31:15 UTC 2019

Rafael,

Most HPC centers have scheduled downtime on a regular basis. Typically
it's one day a month, but I I know that at Argonne National Lab, which
is a DOE Leadership Computing Facility that house some of the largest
supercomputers in the world for use by a large number of scientists,
they take their systems off-line every Monday for maintenance.

Having regularly scheduled maintenance outages is pretty much necessary
for any large environment. Otherwise, the users never let you take the
clusters offline for maintenance. Once the system is offline for a few
hours, a task like upgrading Slurm is pretty easy.

When I worked in a smaller environment, I didn't have regularly
scheduled outages, but due to the small size of the environment, it was
easy for me to ask/tell the users I needed to take the cluster off-line
with a few days notice w/o any complaints from the users. In larger
environments, you'll always get pushback, which is why creating a policy
of regularly scheduled maintenance outages is necessary.

Prentice