[slurm-users] Slurm --mail-to setup help

Christopher Benjamin Coffey Chris.Coffey at nau.edu
Mon Mar 11 23:47:06 UTC 2019

Hi Chad,

My memory is a little hazy on how this was setup but ...

man slurm.conf
MailProg
Fully qualified pathname to the program used to send email per user request. The default value is "/bin/mail" (or "/usr/bin/mail" if "/bin/mail" does not exist but "/usr/bin/mail" does exist).

Slurm is calling /bin/mail which is mailx on our system and sending email addressed to slurmuser at headnode.fqdn to the mail server running locally on the system. We are using postfix. The postfix server then delivers the email locally to users since that’s how its addressed. We have a .forward in each user's /home which points to their real email address that is configured when the user was created on our system. The .forward file is just a one liner with the email address of the user. The email is then forwarded to the users real email address on a mail server on campus.

Our postfix conf is pretty default, but with a few extras that I can't recall if they were essential:

inet_interfaces		# interface to listen on, likely just localhost
inet_protocols		# possibly just ipv4
relayhost		# your relay smtp server on campus
myhostname		# your head node's fqdn
mydestination		# domains to accept mail from, likely just the default
relay_domains		# your local domain,  don't recall if that was needed

Hope that helps! Again, my memory is a little hazy on how its setup. Someone with a fresher mail setup config may have better details.

Best,
Chris

—
Christopher Coffey