[slurm-users] Assigning a QOS to a partition?

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Tue Jan 29 15:27:09 UTC 2019

How does one assign a QOS to a partition? This is mentioned several
different places in the Slurm documentation, but nowhere does it explain
exactly how to do this.

You can assign a QOS to a partition in slurm.conf like this:

PartitionName=mypartition Nodes=node[001-100] QOS=myqos

But that doesn't seem to really do much. And the explanation for
defining a QOS in a partition definition, while rather vague, seems to
state as much:

> *QOS*
>     Used to extend the limits available to a QOS on a partition. Jobs
>     will not be associated to this QOS outside of being associated to
>     the partition. They will still be associated to their requested
>     QOS. By default, no QOS is used. *NOTE:* If a limit is set in both
>     the Partition's QOS and the Job's QOS the Partition QOS will be
>     honored unless the Job's QOS has the *OverPartQOS* flag set in
>     which the Job's QOS will have priority.

If I want to have every job that requests the partition "mypartition"
use the QOS "myqos", how do I do that?

Also, can someone please explain to me the explanation of the QOS field
in the partition definition I quoted above?

--
Prentice