[slurm-users] Fwd: Using srun ends ssh sessions

Burian, John John.Burian at nationwidechildrens.org
Mon Jan 7 05:44:39 MST 2019

On 5/1/19 12:17 am, Tom Smith wrote:
    > Novice question: When I use srun, it closes my SSH sessions to compute
    > nodes.
    >
    > Is this intended behaviour by design?  If so, I may need need to know
    > more about how slurm is intended to be used.  If unexpected, how do I
    > start troubleshooting?

    Sounds like you (or your system administrator) has configured an
    epilogue to kill off processes belonging to a user when their job finishes.

    Using something like pam_slurm_adopt is probably a better way to go
    there as that only permits access to a login node when you have a job
    there, constrains the session to the cgroup for the job and then will
    clean up that session when the job ends.

We see the same behavior using pam_slurm_adopt. Any SSH sessions to the allocated node are adopted into the allocation, and when the allocation ends, all the SSH sessions are terminated. Which is as it should be, although it’s a little puzzling the first time it happens.

John