[slurm-users] Where is the slurmstepd location configured?

Dean Schulze dean.w.schulze at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:05:56 UTC 2019

When I try to start a node it fails with this message:

fatal: Unable to find slurmstepd file at
/storage/slurm-build/sbin/slurmstepd

The location  /storage/slurm-build/sbin/slurmstepd is where the binaries
were built by make (I used ./configure --prefix=/storage/slurm-build).
After I created the .deb file I renamed this directory in case a binary was
trying to use it instead of the installed binary.  I've noticed that the
configure/build process likes to hard code the --prefix= parameter into the
binaries or configuration files.

The binary slurmstepd gets installed in /usr/local/sbin/slurmstepd.  Is
there a config setting somewhere where I tell it to use /usr/local/sbin ?

As a work around I restored the directory /storage/slurm-build and that
solved this error (I get other errors though), but I can't have a binary
pointing to a hard-coded location used to build slurm.