[slurm-users] Is that possible to submit jobs to a Slurm cluster right from a developer's PC

Ryan Cox ryan_cox at byu.edu
Thu Dec 12 15:38:12 UTC 2019

Be careful with this approach.  You also need the same munge key
installed everywhere.  If the developers have root on their own system,
they can submit jobs and run Slurm commands as any user.

ssh sounds significantly safer.  A quick and easy way to make sure that
users don't abuse the system is to set limits using pam_limits.so,
usually in /etc/security/limits.conf.  A cputime limit of one minute
should prevent users from running their work there.  If I'm reading it
right, it sounds like you do want jobs running on that system but do not
want people launching work over ssh.  In that case, you would need to
make sure that pam_limits.so is enabled for ssh but not Slurm.

Ryan